Friday, May 23, 2008

GIVING MYSELF A BAD NAME

I realize that the name "The X [Pat] Files" is not unique. I believe there is a column in some newspaper with a similar name but I decided to use it anyway because a) I feel more entitled on various grounds than that author could possibly be and b) I thought of it myself long before I knew it existed.

My grounds are that I have been an ex-pat for my entire adult life, the child of 2 ex-pats, the wife of an ex-pat who himself is the child of 2 ex-pats. Such a pure line of ex-patriotism produces children that are simply ex-hasperated, having no idea where they are from.

Furthermore (note to self: that's a good word, use it often), I was one of the relatively small audience that tuned in to the very first episode of The X Files all those years ago and watched him feverishly ... er ... I mean watched it faithfully throughout its run.

Those 2 facts are unrelated. But the resulting pun is relevant and explains and justifies my choice of blog name. The 3rd relevant factor is that I had no other good ideas and the 4th is that even the horrible ideas I had were taken (what is wrong with you people?!).

That brings me to my blogspot address. I am a bit embarrassed by it, I admit. It wasn't entirely clear to me, a newbie blogger, that that would be something everyone sees. And by "everyone" I mean the 2 people who have ever read even a part of my blog. I was hasty and now that I have such an embarrassingly juvenile address I'm not sure I even want to share this with anyone ...

What I learned today

* Cats are solar-powered

* Unexpectedly deadly farts are most likely to occur when 2 strangers occupy the same space alone together. I will say no more.

* The term "alone together" is a paradox.

* The word "paradox" is impressive to use in conversation should the opportunity arise. It seldom does.

Words I used today

* juncture
* exigences (alright I'm lying - I didn't use it but I heard and learned it)

Worst things about today

* An awkward moment alone with a stranger

* A cancelled trip

* A slight increase in the time and effort required to stretch out a newly laundered pair of jeans. Clearly the jeans were much more thoroughly laundered this time. I was forced to loosen a few stitches from the seams.

Best things about today

* I was very proud of S & D @ track & field day.

* We have more social engagements in the next 4 days than there are days available for social engagements. When did we become so popular? And why?!

* I saw an excellent cloud

No comments: